How to Reset Macbook
There are many reasons why users want to reset their MacBook Pro / Macbook Air to factory settings. This may be because you are experiencing major issues with its performance, virus attacks, and system errors. You can also perform this Macbook Pro / Macbook Air reset process when you need to sell it or give it to someone else.
How to Reset Macbook
You must format your Macbook Pro / Macbook Air by deleting all the data in it. Here is a comprehensive guide to explain how to reset your Macbook Pro / Macbook Air.
Step 1: Save your personal data
Are you ready to replace your MacBook? Before reselling, make sure all your data is erased from the computer and backed up securely. Indeed, your computer stores a lot of information about your online and offline activity, which it is better to delete before leaving!
In order to save your personal data (applications, music, documents etc.) in another location, three options are available to you:
→ Via the Time Machine program : you only have to open Time Machine on your Mac and click on the option ” Choose a backup disk ” to begin the process of saving the data.
→ Perform a local backup on an external hard drive for example
→ Make an Internet backup via iCloud Drive : click on the apple at the top left of the screen, go to “System Preferences”, then click on the “iCloud” icon.
Step 2: Disconnect your MacBook from your iCloud account
Before formatting your hard drive , you must log out of your iCloud account
- Check that you are connected to the internet
- Go to “System Preferences” and then “iCloud”
- Uncheck the “Locate my Mac” box ( you will be asked for your iCloud password )
- Then click on “Disconnect”
Step 3: Format the hard drive
- Plug your MacBook into the charger and turn it off.
- Hold down the cmd ⌘ + alt (or “option”) + R keys simultaneously while clicking once on the power button to start your MacBook. This will start the restore process. Keep the keys pressed until the logo or the Planet logo appears.
If you are asked to connect to the Internet, connect an Ethernet cable to your MacBook or select a WiFi. Enter the password as if your keyboard was a QWERTY keyboard (Warning, the numbers do not need the Shift / Shift key)
- In the window that appears, click ” Disk Utility ” and then ” Continue “.
Step 4: Finalize formatting
- Select your startup disk from the list on the left, then click the ” Clear ” tab .
- Choose Mac OS Extended (Logged) or APFS (for the latest version).
- Complete ” Macintosh HD ” as the disk name
- Click ” Erase … ” at the bottom right. The diagram, if it is proposed to you, must be GUID partition table (cf image below). The hard disk of your MacBook is now blank.
For Macbooks with TouchBar only:
- In the task bar select Utilities then Terminal .
- Then type the following formula exactly matching each character: xartutil – erase-all
- Confirm with the Enter / Return key .
- Type Yes and confirm again.
- The TouchBar of your MacBook is now blank.
Step 5: Reinstall the OS
This is the last step. We are almost there !
- Check at the top right that you are connected to the Internet, via a secure WiFi network.
- In the central window select “Reinstall macOS” (or OS X) and click “Continue”.
- Follow the wizard to complete the installation of macOs. Choose the “Macintosh HD” disc to install the system on it.
From there, your computer will download a version of the Apple system at first, then install it in a second time.
- When you are asked to choose a language, do not do anything ! Your computer is completely cleaned and ready to be assigned to another user.
How to reset MacBook Pro
If you’re trying to find out how to reset your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air to factory settings without losing data, follow this simple guide.
Part 1 How to reset MacBook Pro / Macbook Air to factory settings
Reset the MacBook Pro / Macbook Air by following these steps:
Step 1. Before restoring MacBook Pro / Macbook Air to the factory settings, make sure all your files are backed up to another location. Indeed, once the restore procedure is launched, you format and erase all the data stored on your MacBook locally. The built-in Mac Time Machine function allows you to perform data backup.
Simply open the Time Machine program on your Mac, click on the “Choose a backup disk” optionto begin the data backup process.
Step 2. Once your data is backed up, connect your Macbook Pro / Macbook Air to the AC adapter and reboot it. Hold down the“Command” and “R” buttonssimultaneously to start the restore process until the Apple logo appears on the screen. Release the buttons immediately.
Step 3. The “macOS Utilities” window willappear and click “Disk Utility”.
Step 4. Open the “Erase” taband select the main drive of your MacBook to reset the MacBook Pro / MacBook Air.
Step 5. Select “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” from the “Volume Format” drop-down menu.
Step 6. Click the “Clear” buttonat the bottom right.
Step 7. When the erase action is complete, close the “Disk Utility” window.
Step 8. To complete the process of resetting your Macbook Pro / Macbook Air, connect your computer to the Internet. Establish a Wi-Fi connection with a secure network.
Step 9. In the “macOS Utility” menu, click “Reinstall macOS” . Follow the wizard and complete the installation of the operating system. Restart your MacBook Pro / Macbook Air once the reinstallation is complete.
Part 2 How to recover data from Macbook Pro / Macbook Air after system restore
The fastest and easiest way to recover old data from your MacBook Pro / Macbook Air is using the Time Machine feature . While if you forgot to back up your data before reverting to Mac, you need to use a professional data recovery tool to recover data from MacBook Pro / Macbook Air.
Wondershare Recoverit for Mac is a great option to help you recover data from your MacBook Pro or Air, which has been restored to its factory settings. this software also allows you to recover data when it is lost due to a formatted hard drive , virus attacks, system errors, formatting, etc.
We have described the steps necessary to restore the MacBook Pro data after it was reset using Wondershare Recoverit for Mac – do not forget to install the software on a partition different from the one where the data was lost:
Step 1. Launch Wondershare Recoverit on Mac
After installing and running Wondershare Recoverit for Mac on your Mac, the recommended section “Universal Recovery” will come out first, you simply click the icon at the top right to return to the Home page.
When you are on the main interface, select the “Deleted File Recovery” mode.
Step 2. Analyze the offending partition from where the data was lost
Choose the restored partition at the factory settings. Select the target location to begin searching for lost data.
Go to “Advanced Analysis” if you want to analyze formatted files after quick scan. It will search deeper for more files and will take longer.
Step 3. Preview and recover lost files
The software will take some time to recover the files from the partition that has been reset. A list of files will be built. Highlight the file name to preview the content and decide if you need it or want it in your brand new MacBook Pro. select all the files you want, click on the “Recover” button to start recovering them.
As mentioned above, resetting the MacBook Pro / Macbook Air to the factory settings should not intimidate you not to do it yourself. You do not have to worry about losing your data because it’s really easy to restore – as simple as 1, 2, 3. Good luck in your efforts!