How to Reinstall Windows 10 ( with or without a USB )
Reinstall Windows 10. Windows 10 no longer works properly ? You have launched a Windows 10 repair but nothing has changed ? Do you want to start a deep cleaning now? So formatting and reinstalling Windows 10 is surely the ideal solution to get back on track and get back to a brand new PC.
How to reinstall windows 10
In this tutorial, I will explain how to format and reinstall Windows 10 with the “Reset this PC” tool or with the Windows 10 installer (accessible via a USB key / installation DVD). Let’s go !
1- Start with method # 1 with the “Reset this PC” tool .
2- And if like some of our members the reset crashes, use method # 2: with the installer of Windows 10 .
Warning: In this tutorial, all data on the Windows partition will be deleted . If you have personal files on it, they will also be deleted! Remember to save your data before continuing .
reinstall windows 10 Method 1: with the “Reset this PC” tool
Step 1: Start Windows 10 reboot
First step, we run the Windows 10 reboot program :
Case 1 : Windows 10 does not start anymore : we will launch the reset program from the advanced boot options .
Case 2 : You still have access to Windows 10 : we will launch the reboot programdirectly from Windows 10 .
Case 1 : Windows 10 does not start anymore
1- Access advanced boot options , aka the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE). You will find in the previous link different ways to access it: from a USB key installation of Windows 10 , via a “hard reboot” …
2- Click Troubleshooting .
3- Then on Reset this PC .
4- Then go to the next step : configure the reset of Windows 10 .
Case 2 : You still have access to Windows 10
1- Open the Recovery page :
- Via the Run command : ms-settings:recovery.
- Via the application Settings > Update and Security > Recovery .
2- Click the Start button under Reset this PC .
3- Then go to the next step : configure the reset of Windows 10 .
Step 2: Set up Windows 10 reboot
1- Select the Delete All option . This is the recommended option for true formatting : all files on the drive will be deleted.
2- If the reboot program detects that you have other drives on the disk on which Windows is installed (and also drives on other disks), it will give you the option to format all of these drives via the All Drives option. . A concrete example :
- you have a disk 1 with a C drive on which Windows is installed and an F drive on which your personal files are stored;
- you also have a disk 2 with an H drive on which other personal files are stored.
By choosing the option All readers , readers C, F and H will be formatted ! You can get more information about the affected readers by clicking on the link Show me the list of readers that will be affected .
If you are only interested in reinstalling Windows 10, select Only the drive where Windows is installed . With this option, only the C drive will be formatted.
3- The reset program then gives you two options to format your drive (s):
- Simply delete my files : performs a fast erase of the player, the files currently present on the player will only be dereferenced but not deleted (they will be as new files will replace them on the sites they have released) . This is the fastest solution but be aware that it will still be possible to recover your old files with a recovery software for example (for a while).
- Delete files and clean the drive : performs a complete erasure of the drive, all files will be permanently deleted. It will be impossible to retrieve them. This is the safest solution if you have sensitive data but know that it is quite long (count several hours depending on the size of the player).
4- The last screen summarizes the actions that the program will perform as part of the Windows 10 reboot . If you’re ready, just click Reset !
After long minutes that have put your patience to the test, you will find a brand new Windows 10 .
reinstall windows 10 Method 2: With the Windows 10 Installer
In this method, we are going to make a brand new installation of Windows 10 using the Windows installer , so “old fashioned”!
1- Create a USB key for installing Windows 10 .
2- Start your PC on the Windows 10 installation USB key to access the Windows 10 installer .
3- Validate regional and language options .
4- Click the Install Now button .
5- You arrive at the entry screen of the Windows 10 product key:
- If you have made the free update of Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 , you do not have a product key but a Windows 10 digital license . Once the installation is complete, Windows will be activated automatically by recovering your license from the Microsoft servers. If you are in this case, click I do not have a Product Key .
- If you purchased a Windows 10 license in commerce , enter your product key. The installer will automatically detect the edition of Windows 10 to which you are entitled from your product key.
- If you have a PC with Windows 10 pre-installed , you will not have this screen. Your PC has a Windows 10 OEM license with a SLP key stored in the UEFI firmware on the motherboard that is automatically read by the Windows 10 installer.
6- If you clicked I do not have a Product Key , select the edition of Windows 10 that you want to install. Choose the edition of Windows 10 that is currently installed on your PC . If you need help: identify the edition of Windows 10 installed on your PC .
7- Accept the terms of the license agreement.
8- Click Custom: Install Windows Only (Advanced) .
9- The Windows 10 installer displays all the partitions of all the disks on your computer.
The goal here is to remove the four partitions from Windows 10:
- ESP partition ( EFI System Partition ), of type System ;
- MSR partition ( Microsoft Reserved ), MSR type (reserved) ;
- Windows partition , Main type ;
- the WinRE ( Windows Recovery Environment ) partition , of type Recovery .
10- Identify the system drive , the one on which Windows 10 is installed. In the above screenshot, it is the drive 0 (we find the partitions proper to Windows 10).
11- Delete the four partitions from the system drive: System, MSR (Reserved) , Main(Windows, “OS” in the above capture), and Recovery . To do this, for each partition :
- a- Select the partition.
- b- Click on Delete .
- c- Confirm the removal of the partition.
12- You get an unallocated space .
13- Create the partitions necessary for Windows 10 to work by selecting the unallocated space > New > Apply .
14- Confirm the creation of additional partitions.
15- Verify that the new “Main” partition is selected, and then click Next to start the installation of Windows 10.
16- The installer installs a brand new copy of Windows 10 on your PC.
That’s it, Windows 10 is well installed! All you have to do is configure Windows 10 !