How to Install Windows 10 on Mac
If you want to install Windows 10 on a Mac, there are several options. These depend entirely on your user profile. How to comfortably and easily play Windows on a Mac, we explain in our blog post of KW 14. With these hints and criteria, you have an excellent decision support at hand to use the right tools for your Windows programs on the Mac.
Install Windows 10 on Mac via Apple Bootcamp
One of the most popular ways to install Windows 10 on your Mac is definitely Bootcamp. This free solution has Apple itself very much launched, so that PC users can use the popular operating system of competitor Microsoft also on iMac and Co. Before you install Windows via bootcamp on your Mac, you must first check the system requirements.
Get disk image before installing Windows for Mac
If you have purchased the Windows 10 operating system from , depending on your personal choice, you will receive the operating system as an installation DVD or as a download. If your decision was made on a DVD, you must first create an image file (ISO) with Bootcamp before using it for the first time. When downloading the ISO file, however, is directly on board.
Speaking of on board: In order to be able to install Microsoft Windows on your Mac via Apple Bootcamp , the Bootcamp Assistant is part of Apple’s OS X. This will guide you through the preparation, installation and configuration of Windows on your Mac. The Windows Boot Wizard loads the support software, divides the hard disk into partitions and creates a bootable USB stick for installing Windows and all required drivers.
Requirements for installing Windows on Mac with Bootcamp
- Apple computer including Intel processor
- current OS X version (latest installation is recommended)
- Free hard disk space of at least 30 GB
- Memory of at least 2 GB of RAM
- Boot Camp Assistant (located in / Applications / Utilities / or / Applications / Utilities /)
- Windows 10 with 64 bit as ISO image or installation DVD
- at least 5 GB USB stick
If you use one of the following Mac models, you do not need a flash drive:
- Mac Pro (late 2013)
- MacBook Air (2015 and newer)
- MacBook Pro (2015 and newer)
- MacBook (2015 and newer)
- iMac (2015 and newer)
Install Windows 10 on Mac with Bootcamp
If you would like to install Windows on Mac with Bootcamp, the Bootcamp Assistant does it almost completely without your help. The installation is prepared with the creation of the installation medium (eg USB stick). In addition Bootcamp loads the latest drivers for network interfaces, graphics card, camera, trackpad, mouse and keyboard on the installation medium.
According to your requirements, the Boot Camp Assistant will then create a partition for installing Windows on Mac. After that, the actual installation of Windows will start on your Mac.
How to proceed:
- open Spotlight with Shortcuts CMD + Spacebar Boot Camp Assistant
- Use the Continue button to set the following tasks to perform
- a) Create installation medium
b) Load latest software from Apple
c) Install Windows 10
- with Continue to continue
- Click on Windows Source Media with Select (DVD Version or Windows ISO Image )
- under target medium destination storage medium (for example, USB stick) must be displayed
- with Continue to continue
Create partition for Windows on Mac
- Hard disk is partitioned, divided into two parts
- Size of the partition can be adjusted via sliders
- Windows partition must be at least 30 GB in size
- Mac restarts after the Boot Camp Assistant completes
- if necessary, press the Alt key to select the correct boot medium during the reboot
- at startup in boot manager select selection of boot medium (eg on WININSTALL USB flash drive )
Now the usual Windows Setup is started. Now you can simply click through the installation dialog until the installation site is selected. Then select the partition BOOTCAMP . Now you see the message “Windows can not be installed on disk X Partition Y” .
Click on the bootcamp partition. Then select the Format option , then confirm with OK . Now the Next button is activated and the Windows installation is completed. After logging in for the first time in Windows 10 , the bootcamp installation program will be started, which will play all necessary Windows drivers for the Mac on your PC.
After the driver installation has finished, you must restart. Remember that there is now no active device installation. Completed is the installation of Windows on Mac with Bootcamp after reboot.
Now you have the opportunity to return to MacOS through the bootcamp tray icon in Windows. Simply select the MacOS volume and then restart your Mac. If you want to switch from MacOS to Windows again, use the Start volume setting area to select the Bootcamp volume. Even then, a restart of the Mac must be performed. If you keep the selector key pressed, you can even decide immediately after a restart if you want to start the PC with Windows or MacOS.
Install Windows 10 programs on Mac with Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion
With Parallels Desktop you can create a virtual Windows machine on your MacOS X. This option is suitable for users who use industry-specific applications for which there are no Windows versions.
Similarly, VMware Fusion works. Again, this is a virtual solution. The developers of this tool also promise that nothing will be lost in terms of disk utilization and memory usage.
Installing Windows on Mac: Conclusion on Bootcamp, Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion
Apple Bootcamp advantage:
- Windows and all Windows applications can be used at full capacity of the Mac
Apple bootcamp cons:
- Deciding on Mac startup for Windows or MacOS
- Restart is necessary for switching between Windows and MacOS
Parallels Desktop for Mac Benefits:
- virtual machine makes fast switching between operating systems possible
- Parallels Desktops Display options allow simultaneous use of MacOS X and Windows 10
Parallels Desktop for Mac Disadvantages:
- commercial solution (eg 99,95 € for Parallels Desktop 13 Pro Edition as 1-year subscription, 1 license)
- not suitable for compute-intensive video or graphics editing or Windows games
VMware Fusion Advantage:
- without restart, MacOS X and Windows can be used simultaneously
VMware Fusion Disadvantages:
- commercial solution (eg € 88.95 for VMware Fusion 10)
- Compared to Bootcamp because of virtualization performance losses
Now it’s up to you to decide which tool you choose to install Windows 10 on your Mac.