How to Become a Millionaire ( Step by Step )
How to Become a Millionaire. Most of us want to make more money, but few amass a billion dollars over the course of a lifetime. With some planning and smart risks, however, becoming a billionaire is possible. Start with this step-by-step guide to building your fortune.
How to Become a Millionaire
Getting Started to Become a Millionaire
1- Get smart
People rarely Become a Millionaire by accident. Take a class online or at a university on finance, read books about investing and know the rules.
Read about successful billionaires and how they made their fortunes, such as Warren Buffett or Jon Huntsman, Sr. Being wise with your money is the surest way to amass more of it.
2- Start saving
It takes money to make money, as the saying goes. Take a certain amount of money out of your paycheck as soon as you get paid and put it in a savings account, to be used for future investments or to simply collect interest.
Decide what percentage of your earnings you can afford to spare and start there – as little as $20 per paycheck will start to make a difference over three or four years. If you decide to put that money toward a high-risk investment, then you’re only risking what you can afford to lose.
- Live frugally. If you want to put more money aside and grow your net worth, cut out unnecessary expenses such as dining out or entertainment. Differentiate between what you must spend money on now and pleasures that could wait for later.
- Collect change. Empty the spare change from your pockets or purse into a jar every night. In a few months, take the money to a coin-counting kiosk or spend the afternoon rolling it yourself (you can get paper coin rolls from the bank for free). If you use cash often, you should be able to collect a few hundred dollars a year this way. Put it directly into your billionaire account.
3- Make a five-year plan
Calculate a conservative estimate of how much money you could manage to save over 5 years. Depending on the amount, decide what the best use of your money should be, whether it’s investing, starting a business or simply allowing the money to continue to collect interest.
- Keep your plan urgent. Make sure your ideas stay at the front of your mind by writing them down and referring back to them regularly. If you have a hard time staying interested in projects, write down reminders about your plan and put them somewhere you go every day – for instance, on the bathroom mirror or the dashboard of your car.
Invest to Become a Millionaire
1- Buy real estate
A common way to make more money is to invest in real estate. Property will generally appreciate in value over time, and might give you a good return on your investment. Your investment can be flipped, rented, or developed.
- Be wary of investing in an artificially inflated market, and make sure that you can easily pay the monthly mortgage. If you don’t know much about the 2008 subprime mortgage crisis in the United States, it might be a good idea to read up on it and take away a few cautionary tales.
2- Invest in a business to Become a Millionaire
Starting your own business or buying into one can be a solid way to make money over a long term. Create or choose a company that offers a product or service that you would buy yourself, and put your time and money toward improving it. Become knowledgable about the industry you wish to go into and learn to differentiate between good and bad business investments.
3- Buy and sell stocks to Become a Millionaire
The stock market can be a great place to grow your fortune. Watch the markets carefully before you start to buy and pay attention to which stocks do well; gathering this information will help you make smart purchases in the future. Once you invest, understand that most stocks appreciate over the long term; ride out small decreases in value if you can.
Get Lucky to Become a Millionaire
If you prefer occasionally daydreaming about getting rich over developing long-term efforts, try gambling. The odds are against you, and you’re unlikely to win millions, but it’s happened before. If you do win money at a casino or in a lottery, take it to a financial planner immediately – he or she can help you figure out how to grow your winnings and, with some smart decisions, maybe hit a billion.
- Stop gambling immediately (or don’t start at all) if you think you might get addicted. Not many gambling addicts get rich, because they don’t know when to stop.
2- Marry well to Become a Millionaire
Leverage your good looks and charm into a financially advantageous marriage. You and your spouse can work as a team to turn his or her money into a billion dollars. Watch out for iron-clad pre-nuptial agreements.
- Research shows that even if you don’t marry someone for money, having a supportive spouse is critical to getting rich. Partner up with someone who’s in your relationship for the long haul.
- Learn to take calculated risks. Your money will earn interest while it sits in the bank, but it will earn a lot more if you use it in smart, somewhat risky ways.
- Be creative. If you want to start a business or invest in one, try to come up with an angle that no one else has considered.
- Stay away from get-rich scams. These can run from people promising to tell you how to play the stock market to someone claiming they’ll invest your money for you. Only trust your money to a Certified Financial Planner.