How to Delete Instagram Account
Delete Instagram Account. If you want to delete your Instagram account, you can do it either with the app or on the PC. No more in the mood for the Instagram app? Then you can delete your Instagram profile or even temporarily disable it. We’ll tell you how you can do forever or even temporarily with Instagram. We will explain step-by-step how to temporarily disable or shut down your account.
How to Delete Instagram Account
There are two ways to shut down an Instagram account : either disable it or permanently delete it. Both variants have advantages and disadvantages. The deactivation ensures that the profile and the content are still stored in Instagram, but can no longer be called.
In this case, the profile is inactive and invisible, so it basically corresponds to a deleted profile. With one difference: It can be switched on again at any time – a generally very good idea for larger Instagram accounts or those that have many followers. After all, you do not know what you want to do with it one day. The deactivation does not exclude the later deletion.
A less used profile, or one that you are 100% sure you no longer need, can be completely deleted. The difference: data, content, followers and likes are gone – and can not be recovered.
Delete Instagram Account
If you want to permanently delete your instagram account , all associated images and videos will also be deleted. In addition, your username will be blocked and made available to other users. To save your pictures before deleting the Instagram account, you can see our article ” Instagram: Save pictures and videos “.
Below we’ll show you how to delete Instagram from the website and app .
Delete via browser
- Use the following link to delete your Instagram account: instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/permanent/ . You will now be redirected to an Instagram page where you must provide the reason for deleting your account.
- Once you have selected a reason, you must confirm your entry again with your password .
- Finally, click on ” permanently delete account “. Now the deletion will start to remove your Instagram account.
Delete via app / mobile device
- Start the app and go to your profile .
- Now go to ” Options ” in the upper right corner and click on ” Instagram help area ” under the category ” Help “.
- Now you will be forwarded to an external page. Here you have to click on the option ” Manage the account “. You will be redirected to the ” Managing Your Account ” page .
- There you have to go to ” delete your account “. Here you have the choice between the two options ” How can I temporarily deactivate my account? ” And ” How do I delete my account?”. To delete your Instagram account, go to the bottom “How do I delete my account?”
- Now you will be asked to go to the page ” delete your account “. If you’re not signed in to the Instagram browser yet, you’ll need to catch up.
- Afterwards, you must give a reason why you want to delete your account and confirm the entry again with your password .
- Finally, you have to click on ” permanently delete account “. Now the deletion will start to remove your Instagram account.
Disable Instagram account
Below we’ll show you how to turn off Instagram through the website and the app .
Disable via browser
- Visit the Instagram page at www.instagram.com and sign up.
- Go to your profile by clicking on your profile icon in the top right corner.
- Now click on ” Edit profile ” next to your username and then go to the bottom right on ” Deactivate my account temporarily “.
- Now you have to specify a reason for the deactivation . Finally, you only have to confirm with your password and click on ” Deactivate account temporarily “. This will disable your Instagram account.
Disable via app / mobile device
- Start the app and go to your profile .
- Click on ” Options ” in the upper right corner and go to the category ” Help ” on ” Instagram help area “.
- Now you will be redirected to an external page. Click on the option ” Manage the account “. You will be redirected to the ” Managing Your Account ” page .
- Now click on ” delete your account “. Here you have the choice between the two options ” How can I temporarily deactivate my account? ” And ” How do I delete my account? “. To deactivate, click on the top “How to temporarily disable my account?”
- Now you will be asked to sign in to the instagram.com mobile browser . From here you can follow the instructions of ” Disable via browser ” or the instructions on the page.
Note: To un-deactivate your account, you only need to log in again once.
How to Delete Instagram Account temporarily
If you only want to disable your account temporarily, you can follow this guide. The advantage of this variant is that while your pictures can no longer be accessed online by other users, their photos are not permanently deleted. Your profile is inactive, but can be reactivated if you change your mind.
- Visit the Instagram website and log in to your account.
- Click on your profile in the top right corner and select the option “Edit profile”.
- At the bottom right you will find the option “Disable my account temporarily”.
- Select any reason and enter your password.
- Via the button “deactivate account temporarily”, you will be logged out of Instagram.
- Your Instagram profile is completely invisible now. If necessary you can reactivate it at any time by logging in.
- For a final deletion of your Instagram account, use the following link and follow the instructions in the next paragraph.
Permanently delete Instagram profile
If you want to permanently delete your profile on Instagram, you have to go another way, which is hidden at first glance. Attention: If you finally switch off your account, all pictures, likes and followers will be deleted as well.
- Follow this link and you will immediately be taken to the page where you can permanently delete your account.
- Log in with your username and choose any reason from the list.
- After explaining the background to your exit, you must enter your password to continue.
- Press the red “permanently delete my account” button to deactivate your account. After that, your account has been permanently closed.
- Tip: After completing this guide, all your photos will be permanently deleted.
The complicated way through the app
An Instagram account can not be deleted directly in the app. How to delete your account with a mobile device, read here. It is much easier to follow the steps from the last paragraph.
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile page. Touch the gear next to Edit Profile.
- Scroll down the options and click on “Help” in the “Help” section. The app automatically redirects mobile users to the Instagram website.
- Click on “Manage the account”.
- Then select the option “delete your account”.
- Under “How do I delete my account?” At step one you will find the bold “delete your account” link. Click on it.
- Follow steps two through five in the “Instructions: Permanently delete Instagram profile” paragraph. The registration will be canceled because you have reached the site via the app. If you use more than one account in the app, make sure the correct account is selected.
Account deleted: Life without Instagram?
Many users make it easier to have fewer social media accounts again. At the same time, a proper deletion ensures more data hygiene on the Web. Although it can not be ruled out that the data still plodding in any Instagram backups of the operator Facebook.
However, it is important that they no longer appear in public and are therefore “gone” according to all regular criteria. If you want to get back on Instagram after deleting, you have to start from scratch. A possibly good username is unfortunately also gone and you have to choose a new one.
Delete frequently asked questions about Instagram Account
As you can see from the steps above, it is not that easy to delete your Instagram account and find the right page for it. That’s why we’ve listed and answered the most common questions about the topic.
How can I recover my deleted Instagram account?
A deleted Instagram account can not be easily recovered. If your username has not yet been registered by another user, you can create a new account and recover your deleted account.
However, your photos can not be restored in this way, you should save them before deleting them on your mobile phone or PC. If you only need a limited break from Instagram, you should just deactivate your account.
Can I also delete my Instagram account via the app?
As far as we know, you can not delete Instagram from the app.To delete Instagram, you should visit the Instagram website on the PC and follow the steps above.
How can I delete my Instagram account on Android?
The Instagram Android app does not allow you to delete your Instagram account.You should therefore follow the above steps and delete your account via the website.
As you have seen above, finding the right menu to delete your Instagram account is not that easy.If you only need a break, you should only disable your account as described in step three. This will prevent others from backing up your username, and your pictures will not be deleted after reactivation.
If you want to permanently delete your account, you should follow step four of our guide. Please note that if you delete it permanently, your images will also be deleted and your username will be shared with other users.